Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2001

I remember the morning that this happened. I was in Ohio and I heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into one of the world trade centers, and and this time they didn't suspect terrorist activity. I was listening when the 2nd plane hit the other tower and then a plane hit the pentagon, and one crashed in a field in Pennsylvania. I called my mom and asked her what was going on and they hadn't heard anything yet, being 2 hours earlier. . The next day was my 21st birthday which it didn't seem right to celebrate it so I didn't. The one thing I did do on my birthday was buy a newspaper which I still have. It was such a scary, and sad day. I had just been in New York City a month before and it seemed surreal.
I have always loved the NYC since I was a little girl. I had never been but I told my mom that I wanted to go. When I was 19 my mom and dad suggested I be a nanny. I interviewed with a few families on the east coast and finally decided on the O'Connor family in New Jersey. They were an amazing family and I was honored to be a part of their life during the last half of 1999-2000. I went into New York City more times than I can even count, and I fell in love with it. I have been back a few times since then too. I have been to ground zero a few times and it is an eerie, humbling, and again surreal experience when you see it. I hope that we can remember those people that lost their lives on that day and how our country came together for a moment.




1 comment:

Mardi and Jeremey said...

It just breaks my heart thinking about all the loved ones lost. Thanks for posting your memories.

I guess that means today is your birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day.